Lindt Café, Martin Place

Friday, June 17, 2005

A couple of weeks ago, I was introduced to the glory that is the Lindt café. Yes, kiddies, read it and weep: Sydney has the very first, one and only Lindt concept store.

Before I wax lyrical, it's at 53 Martin Place (corner of Phillip St, behind Hotel Chambers). A nondescript brown building into which people disappear quite frequently. Don't bother reading the end of this post - just GO!

For the rest of you ... allow me to gloat as there are very few luxuries we actually get in Sydney, let alone have first! OK, so we have Tim Tams, but that's because we made them up.

S,o back to Lindt ... so far, I've tried the hot dark chocolate and the iced milk chocolate. Both were equally delicious. I need to taste them again to decide which is better.

I also had half a slice of their hazelnut gateaux--soooo divine, I can't even begin to describe it. I almost had a gastrorgasm at work while devouring it. Next time, I will buy a slice to eat in the privacy of my dining table. But first, I have to try the other cakes on offer. Cos, you know, I wouldn't want to be accused of not having an open mind ... or mouth, as the case may be.

This afternoon, after dreaming about it the entire day, I braved the chill to buy an Excellence 70% Tart. It's a chocolate tart filled with Excellence chocolate (70% cocoa). The tart is stashed away and hidden in our room because I really, really don't want to share it so I have to eat it when everyone else in the house is asleep.

At $7 each, the cake slices aren't cheap but if the hazelnut gateaux was anything to go by, it's definitely worth it. Even sharing it with one other person, there was more than enough to keep me happy--and that's saying a lot for a chocolate slut like me who will eat any half-decent brand (yes, I'm talking Cadbury, Nestlé, and even Goya) in great quantities.

My problem now is that the café is only a 5-minute walk from work. I can't stop thinking about it and the lovely, yummy goodness within. It beckons me, every minute of my working day.

It's lovely.
It's excruciating.
It's going to make me fat.

It's great to live Sydney.

Lindt Café
53 Martin Place, Sydney

0 sips: